Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I guess I should be happy

that my Senator even knows I exist. But he is clearly confused.

I wrote an email to my Senator this summer, prior to the vote on the Federal Marriage Amendment. Much to no one's surprise, I was against it.

Here's what I got today from Senator Lautenberg:


-----Original Message-----
From: frank_lautenberg@lautenberg.senate.gov
To: ginabrucelovesit@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 3:14 PM
Subject: Responding to your message

Dear Ms. Bruce:

Thank you for contacting me about the "Marriage Protection Amendment" ( S.J.Res . 1). I appreciate hearing f rom you on this important issue, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

The "Marriage Protection Amendment" would amend the United States constitution to declare that "marriage shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman," and that no provision of the U.S. constitution or any State constitution "shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any [other] union." I opposed this measure when the Senate considered it on June 7, 2006.

Marriage laws have traditionally been under the control of individual States, and I do not believe this issue warrants an amendment to the U.S. constitution. In addition, the Defense of Marriage Act, which is federal law, prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriages and allows individual States to recognize or refuse to recognize such marriages performed in other States as they see fit.

While I regret that we disagree on this issue, I am grateful for the benefit of your views. I hope you will continue to share them with me about issues of interest or concern to you in the future.

Thank you again for contacting me.


So here's what I wrote back:


Hi Senatorita Lautenberg -

Thanks for you message; however, as a gay man, I also opposed this amendment. So I am happy that you did too. But you might want to figure out why you thought I was in favor of it? And also why you think I'm a lady, and not a dude! (I'm not mad, I'm just busting chops... but other people do care about this sort of crap.)

Best,
Mr. Bruce


3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan29 said...

Senatorita? BOOYA!!!

Hope your day is peachy.

Luv ya,
Mattie V

October 10, 2006 3:34 PM  
Blogger uproryous said...

I love it. And these people are making decisions for this country. hahahaha

Sorry you missed me yesterday, but I was a busy boy at home. It is great to have a holiday when nobody else does. hahaha

Rev Brown

October 10, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Aunt Phetamine said...

I'm attempting a new-found optimism: at least he used your name! It could have come back as "Dear Citizen," Dear Voter," or simply, "YOU!"

A friend of mine sent a letter like this and received a response reminding the writer (my friend) that the senator was one who was primarily responsible for the amendment. I guess we citizens have to pay attention too.

You're smoke free, but still sassy as hell. Yay!

As always,
Aunt Phetamine

October 10, 2006 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home