Friday, November 17, 2006

mamma, it speaks to me

Ok - I'm just going to start off by telling those of you who read my blog regularly that I am ready to take the abuse I'm sure to endure by my next admission: I like Nick Lachey. But I ask that you open your minds a bit and just read and appreciate what the timbre of the song lyrics below are and I think you'll see how they really do relate to me and my recent changes, which, while all are good and all are my choices, are nonetheless at times sometimes challenging emotionally, to say the least. Now on to the real post:

So I totally bought into the poor-me, dejected-and-rejected routine Nick Lachey's been peddling since his fortuitously-timed "breakup" reintroduction onto the pop charts. I feel bad for him. I think he's not a bad-looking man. The body rocks. The face isn't terrible. And his voice isn't horrible either. But the concept of a breakup album appeals to me at this particular time in my life. It just does. Go ahead, start throwing rocks at me. But have you listened to some of it? Whether the emotion be heartfelt or chart success-induced, some of them are still pretty good.

Below (eventually) are the lyrics to the final cut from What's Left of Me, titled "Resolution". I'm trying to push myself forward in my development as a man and a human being, rather than just carelessly hurtling myself in general directions and hoping things "stick" as I've done in the past. This is a way that I strive to have similarites with my friend Matt. He's going through an incredible journey. I've been through a similar journey, except he is being smarter about it than I was. I'm feeling a little raw emotionally right now (not in a bad way), so just stay with me...

Matt - I try to tell you this as often as possible, but you truly inspire me. I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. I look forward to continuing to watch you become the best man you can be (see the lyrics below) and also continuing to build our virtual friendship and then our gathering with the Reverend and Auntie P. in 2007. It's going to be an unforgettable time!

Anyway - beyond that diversion (I know, random for some, but not to me), here are the lyrics. I like them, a lot. The song is beautiful in it's simplicity on the album version. Just voice, lyrics and a single piano. It translates into the fragility I sometimes feel at this point in my life. Yet at the same time, the simplicity also belies a strength that I know I possess and why I know I will come out a better person. I will continue to grow. I may not make it to my absolute best, but as long as I continue to learn and continue to grow, that's just fine by me...


Nothing but an empty page
Breathing in an open space
Captured by a moment's grace…again
There's so much I left behind
Even more that waits in time
Everything's so undefined
I'm standing on the edge of my fears, and I see it clear…


Here's my resolution - I'm letting go
All I need to learn is along this road
And I just want to be the best man I can be
…breathe...
It's my resolution.


Living life without a plan
Finding solace where I stand
Learning how to love again
And all I want is something real, and that I can feel…


Here's my resolution - I'm letting go
All I need to learn is along this road
And I just want to be the best man I can be


Here's my resolution - I'm letting go
All I need to learn is along this road
And I just want to be the best man I can be
…breathe...
It's my resolution.
My resolution.


(and now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...)


4 Comments:

Blogger uproryous said...

Great post baby. You are on an incredible journey yourself and weather you know it or not you are growing and learning and becoming the best.

I love our talks and I look forward to more of them. And June 2007 will be the best.

Kisses,
The Rev.

November 17, 2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger Aunt Phetamine said...

As the Rev. Brown and I can tell you, sometimes finally letting go of something that you love is absolutely what you have to do to become the best version of yourself.

It's hard. It sucks. It hurts a lot. But miraculously, you just wake up one day and it all makes sense. Or, rather, it makes sense all along, but you only see it when you're ready.

You're going to get there, and I can't wait to help you celebrate!

As always,
Aunt Phetamine

November 17, 2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Jonathan29 said...

Wow....thank you for the kind words in this entry. We're both on the journey of our lives, and like the song says, our future is so bright we gotta wear shades.

I love the lyrics to Nick's song! They actually sound somewhat 12 step-py, if that makes any sense. The whole concept of letting go is something that I work every day.

June 2007. I have something to look forward to!

November 17, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Gina Bruce said...

thanks to you all. big kisses and hugs.

but the letting go is not letting go of the ex. that was done long ago. it's letting go of my need to manage every situation and control everything. I can't. It's impossible and makes life not fun.

And I want and need and deserve some fun, so I'm out to get some! ;-)

November 19, 2006 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home