Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Christmas from Kirkuk - WTF?

Here's an ironic news flash: I just received word that my 42-yr old brother has arrived safely in Kirkuk, Iraq. That's good news, because I think I just read in the special winter edition of Middle Eastern Travel & Leisure that Kirkuk made their coveted "Top 10 Safest Cities for 2005".

My brother is in the reserves, in the JAG unit for a division. He will have an office job, providing legal assistance to his unit during their tour. If there's any silver shards in this cloud's lining, they would be:
  • he is not on foot patrol, so presumably he's a bit safer than he might be in some other role
  • they deployed some of the support unit personnel after the main unit, so his tour will likely be around 10 months as opposed to the normal 12

Ok - I'm being facitious. I don't support the war. But I do believe in my brother being safe and coming home soon to us. It was his choice to go, and I don't understand it, but I don't have to. I only have to respect it as he's my brother and I love him. He's also an adult and makes his own decisions.

(all this spoken over a choir humming the holiday classic I'm Dreaming of a Tan Christmas)

Freaked Out, Party of 1? Your holiday table is ready.

Merry Frappin' Christmas!!



2 Comments:

Blogger Francisco (Melvin) Rosario said...

Hey Lady,

Mmm mmm mmm out-ter-space
Mmm mmm mmm out-ter-space
All the stars are out tonight
Mmm mmm mmm
Moonlight on your hair feels so right
Ain't nothing bigger than Jupiteeeeer
Oh-whoah Oh-whoah-whoah
GAYS IN SPAAAAAAAAACE!

December 22, 2005 7:03 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

They certainly couldn't have picked a worse time to send your brother over. I'm sure he'll be fine, though, and I hope he comes home soon.

December 23, 2005 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home