Thursday, December 22, 2005

stairs and spacing

Why do stairs have that leading edge, that little lip? I have a life-long history of tripping up (yes...up, not down) stairs. No, I haven't been drinking. I JUST tripped returning from my bodega. I don't understand why that lip is there, other than to cause my already-challenged coordination greater frustration. I'm writing Dateline NBC to see if I can get some answers.

I may be showing my age here, but when did standard spacing change from double- to single-spacing after sentence-ending punctuation? This is a very difficult transition for me. I see so many people using single-spacing in email correspondence. When I look online, I see standards that indicate there has been a shift. balls.


4 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

From what I understand, the single space after a period is acceptable for newspapers and magazines, but yes, it does make a standard e-mail come across as cluttered and rushed. Still, nothing bothers me more than people who use "your" when they really mean "you're." Roar!

December 22, 2005 9:38 AM  
Blogger Gina Bruce said...

Sister Grim, can I tempt you? How 'bout, "I'd loose my head if it weren't attached to my neck!"

December 22, 2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Oh, the humanity!

December 22, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Oh, Lou, don't ge me started on the your/you're confusion. And I have noticed the single spacing but thought maybe I was just crazy.

The stair 'lip' you refer to, is actualy called the 'nose'. The part you step on is the tread, the verticle part is the riser. The stair nose transition molding combines style and function to create an attractive threshold that catches the brunt of floor traffic while enhancing the beauty of a staircase or step. The stair nose also provides the proper overhang for a transition from one floor level to the next such as the step into a sunken living room.

July 19, 2006 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home